Top 5 Best Mods for Your 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
October 2, 2021
For years, the Silverado 1500 has been one of the best-selling pickup trucks around the world. This solid, reliable full-size truck has proven that it deserves this popularity through its style, clean lines, powerful engine lineup, and spacious interior. There’s always room for improvement though, right? Here’s a list of the top five best mods to make to your 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 achieve the best build on the block.
- What's New With the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500?
- 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Mods
- Modifying Your 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Before diving into the secret formula to achieving the sickest build on the block, let’s go over some basic changes seen in the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 that are new from 2019.
What’s New With the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500?
Through years of upgrades and new generations, it’s remained at the top of the leaderboard through it all. There are quite a few speculations about which year was the best. While some are convinced that the 2nd-generation Silverado 1500s were the absolute GOAT, and some are die-hard 2003-2006 Cateye fans.
While it’s normal to have claims of issues in each new model, Chevrolet actually went through a pretty long period from 2012-2019 where consumers reported an abundance of issues with the transmission or faulty engine systems issues within their Silverado 1500. After such a long spell of issues, Chevy wanted to get it right with the 2020 Silverado 1500. Did they?
The 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 saw some interior/exterior updates including vertical tailoring mirrors, adaptive cruise control, HD surround vision, new wheel finish options on select trims. Chevy also offers two new packages called the Rally Edition and the Midnight Edition that include a wide variety of badass upgrades like rally stripes, tailgate lettering, trim level badging, LED headlamps, and dual exhaust tips, depending on the package option you choose.
However, arguably the biggest, and most important advancements were seen in the truck’s powertrain. Chevy launched the long-awaited 3.0L I6 LM2 turbo-diesel Duramax engine, also known as “Baby Duramax.” This engine option was made available on the LT, RST, LTZ, and High Country models. Delivering 277 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque, this engine was supposed to launch in 2019 but was pushed back due to delays in emission testing.
Another big change was the increased availability of the 6.2L V8 L87 EcoTec3 engine, which was first launched with the 2019 Silverado 1500. Now, Custom Trail Boss, Trail Boss LT, and RST 4WD models will have the L87. On top of that, the L87 will also have a performance upgrade package that includes an intake and cat-back exhaust to maximize performance.
Despite their efforts to get back on track with the 2020 Silverado 1500, Chevy still couldn’t shake transmission issues with this truck. Hard shifting, sudden jerking, and trouble downshifting were all trending issues customers reported with the 2020 truck.
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Mods
No surprise here, the first mod that made the list...wheels. You can scour endless forums and ask as many people as you can at trucks shows, but stock wheels aren’t going to earn your build any points when it comes to the world of modifying. There are endless numbers of brands, sizes, bolt patterns, finish options, and spoke designs to choose from when it comes to upgrading your wheels. To save a year or two of your life from browsing for the perfect set, here’s a list of the top five wheels for your 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500. There’s no right or wrong choice, but based on fitment and what compliments the style of your Silverado, here’s the verdict:
1. ARKON OFF-ROAD Lincoln: This “hybrid” style wheel with a concave wheel face and deep lip quickly became a popular choice in the industry. Perfect for showcasing spiked lugs with exposed lug nuts and single-lug drilling, the Lincoln is also Proper Directional, allowing you to achieve that seamless flow to your build due to the fact your wheels won’t be running “backward.” This classic, clean wheel is available in a wide variety of sizing options ranging from 20 inches to 26” along with popular finish options like chrome and gloss black with milled spoke edges.
2. Tuff T2A: Known for delivering high-quality, lightweight wheels that are still strong and sturdy, Tuff knocked it out of the park the T2A. It’s a wheel with 8 angled spokes, exposed lugs, a deep lip, and a directional style to add to the overall look of your build. With diameters ranging from 15 inches to 26 inches, it would be shocking if you couldn’t find the size you need for your 2020 Silverado 1500. Whether you’re trying to elevate your show build or daily driver, chrome and gloss black with milled spoke windows finish option give you the chance to pick which suits your style.
3. TIS 544: This wheel’s unique mesh-style design sets it apart from a lot of other aftermarket wheel options. This 8-spoke wheel with exposed lugs has been one of the most popular options among enthusiasts, earning TIS some major brand recognition in the community. It’s available in diameters ranging from 16” to 26”, ensuring there’s no shortage of sizes to choose from for your Silverado. Like the other two options, the 544 is also available in chrome and gloss black with milled spoke accents, but you can also add a pop of color with the 544MBR, their gloss black with machined spoke faces and red tint finish option.
4. American Force Trax SS: The difference between this option and the rest of this list is that the Trax SS is a forged wheel. Because of this, these wheels are less porous making them strong, durable, and more resistant to corrosion or oxidation. The forged wheel look brings an eliteness to a build that can’t easily be replicated. The Traxx SS is a mesh-styled, 8-spoke wheel with exposed lugs and a deep lip to add maximum aggression. The only downside of a set of forged wheels is that you’re probably going to pay at least 3x the amount as you would with a typical cast wheel.
5. Axe Offroad Artemis: The last wheel on the list, but definitely not the least, is this wheel with 8, straight spokes, exposed lugs, a deep lip, and constructed of durable aluminum alloy. This wheel is perfect to achieve, a sleek, clean build and is available in diameters ranging from 20” to 26” and finish options of satin black, chrome, and gloss black with milled spoke edges.
A mod that often gets overlooked because it’s not the biggest or flashiest change to make to your truck, is a new grille. There are a ton of badass, custom grilles out there that will add to the attractiveness of your 2020 Silverado 1500. It’s a great way to spice up its look without breaking the bank or going through the hassle of an annoying installation process. The grille is often seen as part of the truck’s “face,” making it the perfect way to give in a more aggressive look. They come in a wide variety of styles and designs for practically all year, makes, and models of trucks. With that being said, as the 2020 Silverado 1500 is one of the most popular out there, there won’t be a shortage of options to choose from.
Custom Headlights and Tail Lights
Like the truck’s grille, the headlights on a Silverado are commonly seen as the “eyes” on the face of the truck. Not only do custom headlights help improve brightness, they often times look cleaner and sharper than stock ones. There’s room for more customization options with aftermarket headlights and tail lights because they have a handful of color options to choose from. Other benefits include the fact that they last longer, energy-efficient, and are easy to install. It’s fairly affordable to stray away from the dull, yellow stock lights and upgrade to some new aftermarket headlights and tail lights. Two of the best brands in the game to check out for this are Morimoto and Recon.
Spiked lug nuts are a really easy, affordable way to freshen up the look of your wheels and give your truck a new look. A lot of popular wheel brands for a 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 have exposed lugs, meaning spiked lugs is the best way to compliment them. If you’re trying to follow a certain color scheme for your build, you can also get spiked valve stem caps that are made from machined billet aluminum, which come in a wide variety of popular colors.
Undoubtedly one of the bigger mods, and commitments, you can make to your 2020 Silverado is its suspension. From leveling kits to lift kits to adjustable coilovers, there are a ton of options when it comes to upgrading your suspension. With the variety of suspension options out there, you’ll achieve your goal, whether it’s adding some major height for aggression and a better look, room for bigger tires, ground clearance, or better visibility. Since it’s such a popular year, make, and model, the 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 has a lot of suspension brands like BDS Suspension, Rough Country, and Fabtech that make compatible applications. Depending on what kind of money you’re looking to spend or how much height you’re trying to add, filtering your truck, desired size, and desired price can help narrow down your options. Also, if you’re not sure what is quite right for your Silverado, consider checking out a gallery filled with almost 17,000 other 2020 Chevy Silverados to see what they’re running.
While it’s not as common in trucks as in cars, unlocking some of your engine’s potential to increase performance is also another mod to consider for your 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500. Common upgrades like a cold air intake and exhaust system are among the top performance mods to make, mainly because they serve a dual purpose. Not only will you unlock some extra horsepower, but paired together, they’ll produce a newer, fuller aggressive sound from your exhaust that turns heads.
Modifying Your 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Customizing your truck is a reflection of your personality and taste, so there’s no right or wrong way to do it. There are a ton of aftermarket mods and brands to choose from. Be prepared to run into questions like, “What fits?” or “Does this look good?”. When that time comes, set aside some time to reference the abundance of resources available online including fitment galleries so that you can compare your 2020 Silverado’s specs and style to what others across the world are doing. Another great way to look for inspiration or direction for your build is YouTube, where you can watch other Silverado owners’ build processes to see which products and sizes work for them. Building your truck can get to be a little spendy, so make sure you look for deals where you can, whether that comes in the form of packaging items for a discounted price, scouring deals pages, or financing your parts at a low-interest rate.
If you’re about to start or finish your 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 build, drop in the comments below what some of your favorite brands, products, or modifications you’ve done or look forward to.